we’ve had the keys to our place for just slightly over three months now, and if you take a look at our place now, it really looks like we just started our renovations. SIGH.. I guess it’s partly our own fault, first taking forever to check for defects, then the longest time to figure out what aircon we want and sort out the installation. You see, you can’t start any renovation work until those two things are sorted out. It also took us forever to figure out cabinet laminates and room colours so my poor contractor was actually chasing us to hurry up so he could start work. It’s usually the client chasing the contractor on updates and to meet deadlines rather than the other way around. Of course now, it’s all in his hands, and he’s taking a while. Every time I ask him how long more, he says ‘two weeks’. It’s been ‘two weeks’ for a while now. But we’re not in a rush so, it’s okay. The only thing is that now we’re going on our annual sail trip to tioman for 2.5 weeks in mid june and i may have to go on a biz trip almost immediately after that so we’d want to finish the thing before then.
We’ve also spent the last two months going around the island looking at various household stuff like
- kitchen sinks,
- taps (who knew there were so many types!! ack!),
- lights (my neck was damn tired from look up all the time),
- sofas (all the way to ulu land at sungei kadut!),
- bed frames
- coffee tables
- tv consoles
- dining tables
- dish racks
yes, it’s been a tiring two months, and let’s not even go to the arguments we had over how big the damn fridge had to be (me: BIGGER IS BETTER, jet: NO COUNTER SPACE, rinse and repeat for one whole day). Actually most of our conversations tended to be whether an item was too big or not. things we have yet to buy / decide on
- curtains vs blinds
- ironing board
- a decent mop (jet insisted on buying a regular mop, you know the dreadlocked looking one, and i don’t know how to use that.. i only know how to use the squeege sponge mop thing..)
there are actually a whole lot more but i think we’ll only by the tv next and just slowly see what we need. I suspect we might some of these things as gifts (no that is not a hint, you don’t need to get us anything for the new house, but i think our family members may come with things and there are also the mom who have started buying all sorts of things so I want to see what they are first before we add more things).
i really am looking forward to moving in, this time my contractor has given us a date so it really is two weeks.. the final two weeks. hahahaha. have decided today to use professional movers as I can’t be arsed to do the heavy lifting, plus i may have one or two bulky pieces of furniture to bring over so might as well just get them to move all my bajillion things.
So we continued on our hunt for the right furniture (without breaking the bank) and made our way to some ulu furniture place in yew tee… okay actually the place is at sungei kadut but there is a shuttle bua from yew tee station… after walking all three levels our hearts were still set on a sofa set, bed frame and most of all the dining table. We picked the same exact colour for the sofa and you can see Jet is getting comfy on it already. Oh and it comes with a matching Ottoman which can go into the games room or for the cats to sleep on
the bed frame, we chose a black on black print and asked them to make the pillow thing on the headboard one piece instead of two… </
forgot to snap a photo of the dining table so you will just have to rely on my dedcription for now… The table is a round, 4ft in diameter and made of some black powder coated glass so it has a matte finishing (won’t have to worry about fingerprint stains on the glass top… yay!). We also got dining chairs since they had a deal to get them for cheap… I’m not that impressed with the chairs mainly cause they’re leather and will be gross to sit on on a hot day… when I realised this morning that I could always get chair covers to deal with it…
Furniture left to buy…
1. Coffee table
2. Tv console
3. Computer chairs (we saw some ergonomic chairs but they’re like $1.7k each!!!!)
Other improve things to sort out…
1. Air con (without this we can’t start the reno)
3. Wall colours
4. Cabinet layout (we’ve picked out the colours.. now we have to decide where do drawers go etc…)
6. Electronics / white goods…
After a very stressful afternoon, I am pleased to announce that the table seating chart is DONE!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT
things left to do
- collect dresses (some of the dresses didnt fit the girls.. who ask you all to lose weight!)
- buy photo frames
- buy jet’s shoes
- buy comp
- set up web cam
- go thru seating chart with minyi
- do nails
- go for spa
- send mom to hairdresser
- pack up the house a bit more
- collect head flower thing from kevin
- send hotel final list
- send hotel photo
- write thank you speech
- pay people!
- GET MARRIED!!!
1. confirm final guest list
2. table chart
3. buy shoes for jet
4. send over photo to hotel
I THINK THAT’S IT!!
1. picked out wedding cards
2. got jie meis measured and dress designs done
3. got uncle measured
4. confirmed with the band on third set
5. confirmed look and feel with MUA and Photog
6. more or less decided on theme
7. had food tasting..
things to do
1. collect wedding cards on thurs 7pm
2. send out wedding cards
3. props for photoshoot
4. get fitted for the wedding dress / suit for jet
5. jie meis to get fitted
6. confirm guest list for 2nd oct
7. figure out schedule on actual day (okay this is almost done!)
8. RSVP list
9. table seating plan (GROANS)
10. confirm changes in menu w hotel
11. new glasses for jet (otherwise he will look like a chee koh pek* with his transition lenses)
12. sort out jet’s outfits for the photoshoot
13. buy shoes!
14. send band set list
15. do up ops plan for wedding.
16. check that aa is free to help for shoot
*sleazy old man
things that we have done
- picked out wedding favours for guests
- picked out wedding invite cards (we’re going with black for our friends, and cream for relatives)
- someone finally picked the food tasting date
- sorted out photoshoot date (we need one assistant on that day, if you can help on 14th sept, give us a shout!)
- bought my wedding shoes and burned one giant hole in my pocket…
- spoke to florist, they said once the colour scheme is decided they will be able to quote
- spoke to the band, the schedule looks okay…
- jie meis are to be measured on aug 28th
- tpt semi confirmed
Things left to do
- song list
- confirm how many sets with the band
- continue informing /reminding people about the wedding
- discuss look and feel with photog / make up artiste
- wedding theme – i am leaning towards black and gold
- photo frames for recep desk
- tpt timings and pick up locations for families
- look for accessories for all three dresses.. (see upcoming post.. )
sorry for the lack of updates (unfortunately, it’s due to a lack of work done rather than too busy with wedding prep). I’ve only restarted doing wedding prep again recently.
Let’s go through the list of things that have been done…
- Photographer has been booked! We are very pleased to be engaging Mr. Eugene Goh from Lightworks photography (www.lightworks.com.sg) to capture the moments of our big day. I really like his style and while it’s unfortunate that the second photographer is not Mr. S-Man, I’m sure that the other guy will be good too. (Mr. S-Man still owes me a meal actually.. HAHAHA)
- Make Up Artiste has been booked! She’s such a pro and gave me such a good rate! I’m really lucky to have found Ms Paris Ziv of Le Stars Secrets to be my makeup artiste!
- We have changed our minds on the videographer and will not be engaging one
- All three dresses have been designed; we’ve bought the lace for the big white one but have yet to find the right lace for my evening dress. It is almost impossible to find nice fuchsia lace. BAH!
- Have picked out the material for mom’s evening dress and she is very pleased with it. Design of her gown is also done. WOOT
A few people have told me that I’m spending a lot more by not going through a bridal studio and using their packages, I actually think this is a misconception. Okay, my photog is not cheap (he’s not ex either lah!) but I like the style / type of shots he can produce, plus I can an e copy of all the shots he takes etc. From our one and only outing with lisa, leesa, and aaron to the Tanjong Pagar bridal studio lane, and they give you X number of shots for the display album. From those who have gone through this process, what happens, is that it never seems to be ‘enough’. You will feel very gian to take more / all the shots they have taken and either put it in the album or do god knows what with it. And of cos there is the ‘wtf are you going to do with the album after the wedding?!’ issue. For the first few mths, perhaps it’s on your coffee table, but really, after 1 year, how often will you look at it? Several of my friends have told me that the album ends up in the store room. Yar you pay so much to take up space in your store room. What I’m going to do is blow up a few of these shots and frame it up and hang them on the wall of our house or in picture frames in the bedroom and that’s it. Same for the outdoor shoot, I just want to blow up one or two for the actual wedding night to be placed outside the door and call it a day. The rest e-copy can already.
Same for my makeup artiste, unlike most makeup artistes, she said she will follow me throughout the day (until we break for the evening, and then again when I have to change gowns in the evening). Usually, other makeup artistes will come once in the morning and once again at night and that’s it. Paris even told me that she will be helping me into my gown etc, cause usually the jie meis are too busy with their own thing and the poor bride is left to walk in her gown on her own, sweeping whatever dirt/ stepping on it etc throughout the day. (Yes can you not see me doing this? I just hope I don’t drop food on my dress. Someone keep lisa chong away from me if she is eating tim sum! Hahaha). I’ve also heard that a lot of the boutiques spring all sorts of hidden / last minute costs on you. Like fake lashes – not part of the package. Dunno what ampoule thing – sometimes not part of the package. Paris is even throwing in a spa session to get my skin vibrant before the wedding… HAHHAA. Even things like accessories, she said she’d help me find and told me to give her the look and feel that I like etc (I have told her I like lady gaga!) and told me to send her pictures of the look and feel I want to achieve at each photo location. She is quite thorough discussing with me what I liked and what I didn’t like and we’ll probably have another discussion once the dresses are done.
My dress maker is also looking to design something unique for me on my big day. She has spent so much time with me coming up with designs, look and feel and also shopping for the right fabric etc. She’s even trying to help me make sure that I can attempt to wear these dresses again so I don’t end up wasting money on a white elephant. I totally love her tea dress idea which is a modern take on a traditional cheong sam. I have told Paris that I want a lady gaga head gear to go with that.. AHAHAHHA.
Am so pleased that I’ve met all these people who are passionate about their craft that they always make sure that the end product looks good. I always get the sense that I’m being ripped off at the studios but with these individuals, you get way more than what you pay for. I also have not bargained with any of them, as I respect that it is their time and experience you are paying for. Cannot afford, look for someone else cheaper (one of them did lower their quote when I told them that I could not afford them and was going to look for someone within my price range but I was serious in just leaving it at that).
Things left to do
- Pick out invite cards (doing that tom!)
- Confirm song list (waiting for jet to okay the list)
- Confirm outdoor shoot date + locations – jet is in charge
- Confirm look and feel for outdoor shoot
- Confirm guest list
- Confirm English MC (my cousin may not be able to attend)
- Confirm dinner start time – this is impt cause the band is play two sets and I will use the break to YUM SENG but it needs to be timed properly..
- Jie meis need to get measured and have their dresses designed etc – they are in the midst of doing this
- Wedding colour scheme (this depends on the jie mei dresses cause I am lazy to think of one, whatever the dress maker feels works for ALL of them will be my colour theme for the wedding).
- Confirm wedding car – dunno what the jet wants
- Confirm florist!
- Tpt for families / relatives to wedding venue and back
- Food tasting date + whoever is suppose to go – jet is in charge
Think that’s it for now. More later this week after we pick the invites etc.