sorry for the lack of updates (unfortunately, it’s due to a lack of work done rather than too busy with wedding prep). I’ve only restarted doing wedding prep again recently.
Let’s go through the list of things that have been done…
- Photographer has been booked! We are very pleased to be engaging Mr. Eugene Goh from Lightworks photography (www.lightworks.com.sg) to capture the moments of our big day. I really like his style and while it’s unfortunate that the second photographer is not Mr. S-Man, I’m sure that the other guy will be good too. (Mr. S-Man still owes me a meal actually.. HAHAHA)
- Make Up Artiste has been booked! She’s such a pro and gave me such a good rate! I’m really lucky to have found Ms Paris Ziv of Le Stars Secrets to be my makeup artiste!
- We have changed our minds on the videographer and will not be engaging one
- All three dresses have been designed; we’ve bought the lace for the big white one but have yet to find the right lace for my evening dress. It is almost impossible to find nice fuchsia lace. BAH!
- Have picked out the material for mom’s evening dress and she is very pleased with it. Design of her gown is also done. WOOT
A few people have told me that I’m spending a lot more by not going through a bridal studio and using their packages, I actually think this is a misconception. Okay, my photog is not cheap (he’s not ex either lah!) but I like the style / type of shots he can produce, plus I can an e copy of all the shots he takes etc. From our one and only outing with lisa, leesa, and aaron to the Tanjong Pagar bridal studio lane, and they give you X number of shots for the display album. From those who have gone through this process, what happens, is that it never seems to be ‘enough’. You will feel very gian to take more / all the shots they have taken and either put it in the album or do god knows what with it. And of cos there is the ‘wtf are you going to do with the album after the wedding?!’ issue. For the first few mths, perhaps it’s on your coffee table, but really, after 1 year, how often will you look at it? Several of my friends have told me that the album ends up in the store room. Yar you pay so much to take up space in your store room. What I’m going to do is blow up a few of these shots and frame it up and hang them on the wall of our house or in picture frames in the bedroom and that’s it. Same for the outdoor shoot, I just want to blow up one or two for the actual wedding night to be placed outside the door and call it a day. The rest e-copy can already.
Same for my makeup artiste, unlike most makeup artistes, she said she will follow me throughout the day (until we break for the evening, and then again when I have to change gowns in the evening). Usually, other makeup artistes will come once in the morning and once again at night and that’s it. Paris even told me that she will be helping me into my gown etc, cause usually the jie meis are too busy with their own thing and the poor bride is left to walk in her gown on her own, sweeping whatever dirt/ stepping on it etc throughout the day. (Yes can you not see me doing this? I just hope I don’t drop food on my dress. Someone keep lisa chong away from me if she is eating tim sum! Hahaha). I’ve also heard that a lot of the boutiques spring all sorts of hidden / last minute costs on you. Like fake lashes – not part of the package. Dunno what ampoule thing – sometimes not part of the package. Paris is even throwing in a spa session to get my skin vibrant before the wedding… HAHHAA. Even things like accessories, she said she’d help me find and told me to give her the look and feel that I like etc (I have told her I like lady gaga!) and told me to send her pictures of the look and feel I want to achieve at each photo location. She is quite thorough discussing with me what I liked and what I didn’t like and we’ll probably have another discussion once the dresses are done.
My dress maker is also looking to design something unique for me on my big day. She has spent so much time with me coming up with designs, look and feel and also shopping for the right fabric etc. She’s even trying to help me make sure that I can attempt to wear these dresses again so I don’t end up wasting money on a white elephant. I totally love her tea dress idea which is a modern take on a traditional cheong sam. I have told Paris that I want a lady gaga head gear to go with that.. AHAHAHHA.
Am so pleased that I’ve met all these people who are passionate about their craft that they always make sure that the end product looks good. I always get the sense that I’m being ripped off at the studios but with these individuals, you get way more than what you pay for. I also have not bargained with any of them, as I respect that it is their time and experience you are paying for. Cannot afford, look for someone else cheaper (one of them did lower their quote when I told them that I could not afford them and was going to look for someone within my price range but I was serious in just leaving it at that).
Things left to do
- Pick out invite cards (doing that tom!)
- Confirm song list (waiting for jet to okay the list)
- Confirm outdoor shoot date + locations – jet is in charge
- Confirm look and feel for outdoor shoot
- Confirm guest list
- Confirm English MC (my cousin may not be able to attend)
- Confirm dinner start time – this is impt cause the band is play two sets and I will use the break to YUM SENG but it needs to be timed properly..
- Jie meis need to get measured and have their dresses designed etc – they are in the midst of doing this
- Wedding colour scheme (this depends on the jie mei dresses cause I am lazy to think of one, whatever the dress maker feels works for ALL of them will be my colour theme for the wedding).
- Confirm wedding car – dunno what the jet wants
- Confirm florist!
- Tpt for families / relatives to wedding venue and back
- Food tasting date + whoever is suppose to go – jet is in charge
Think that’s it for now. More later this week after we pick the invites etc.
Okay, I remembered that I have a friend who designs bespoke jewellery (both for weddings and otherwise) so I contacted her and got links to her website and Facebook page.
She said that the way she does things is that she starts off by finding out your budget and then working something out based on it. For weddings she does mostly rings but I figured that if you want a necklace or earrings to go with your dress, why not custom design them right? Can take a look lah.
so i dashed into another a convenience shop to grab milk and this time my eyes spotted another bridal mag. I was like.. should i waste my money again. I don’t know what made me buy it, but this was worth the $8.50! same almost 1 inch thick mag but with really nice gowns this time. GOOD JOB STYLE WEDDINGS. (you would have done a better job if you didn’t have jeannette aw on the cover… )
so today, as the hubs and i were at cold storage grabbing some groceries and i spotted this gold box in the magazine rack and was like.. ooh what’s this? Now I have only bought one bridal mag before and that’s cause it had the padme amidala’s costumes from starwars episode two in it. Aside from that i’ve never really bothered with women’s mags. Anyway, this gold box thing contained a bridal mag and I was like, well, it’s time to start looking for wedding dress designs and what better way than to look at a bride’s mag. Okay, it also looked like it came with a nice calender diary but it turned out to be some foldable nonsense thing.
WELL I WAS WRONG.
the bloody mag is 1 inch thick and there wasn’t a single gown that looked nice to me!! seriously, the mag is so damn big, so ex, and bloody heavy and NOTHING! so since it’s obviously not useful to gown selection, I bring you 8 great uses for this blissful my ass brides magazine
- weights – train up triceps and biceps
- doorstop (credit: Sue)
- kachang puteh wrapper (credit: jet)
- killer litter – drop on unsuspecting enemies
- body protection, just strap to back or front to prevent knife stabs
- booster seat
- coasters (thick paper inserts are great for these)
seriously, why do i bother with these magazines..
- call dress maker and make appt, get measured, discuss designs etc
- work out band details – settle terms and logistics etc
- start looking for make up artiste(s)
- start looking for photographers
- start looking for videographers
- send out save the date cards
- get both sides to sort out their invite lists
I think these shapes will work for you.
1. The SATC dress but not so low cut and no layers.
2. dress with hips – this will create some hip for you, but with short sleeves or sleeveless.
3. grecian form – gives you a high waist, hides the torso but still looks elegant without being overly girly or flowy. (see the one on the left, i think as an evening dress it could still work for your height)
I’ll look around somemore and see what else comes to mind.
I’m getting a dress maker to custom make my dress, not because I have loads of money to throw at this, but well, I’m short and not exactly thin (no teapot jokes please…) and I don’t think I’ll be able to find anything off the rack that would fit and look good on me. This dress maker has said she’d help me work within my budget and so now I’m on the quest for the search of THE dress. I’m thinking I’ll need 3, the white one, the traditional Chinese qi pao and an evening dress. Jet will need a suit. Bridesmaids will also need dresses. Brothers can sort themselves out, as long as they wear a suit with a proper shirt underneath it and a tie they’ll be alright.
So anyway, I found this off Martha Steward’s Wedding Site. I kinda like the beading on this dress, but not the colour.
Definitely not this colour, MOH has suggested reddish purple. I am quite keen on it. Will see if dress maker can do this.